Register for writing course
Learn more about “Inside the Writing Forest”
Program Goal: To improve the writing skills of elementary ESL students by the end of the semester, achieving state standard skills the fun way.
Measurable Learning Outcomes:
- Students will be able to write simple sentences with proper capitalization, punctuation, and spelling.
- Students will be able to write a paragraph of at least three sentences with a clear topic sentence and supporting details.
- Students will be able to write opinion, narrative, report, and compare & contrast essays according to California Common Core Standards.
- Writing prompt exercises to assess sentence structure and grammar.
- Paragraph writing assignments to assess organization and content.
- Essay writing assignments to assess the students' ability to write according to different styles.
- Self-editing checklists to assess students' ability to revise and proofread their own writing.
Program Plan: Week 1: Introduction to Writing
- Introduction to basic writing elements such as capitalization and punctuation.
- Writing simple sentences and practicing proper structure.
Week 2: Building Sentences into Paragraphs
- Writing topic sentences and supporting sentences.
- Identifying main ideas and supporting details.
Week 3: Paragraph Structure
- Practicing paragraph writing with clear topic sentences and supporting details.
- Peer review and revision exercises.
Week 4: Writing Process and Editing
- Introduction to the writing process (prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, and publishing).
- Introduction to self-editing and peer editing.
- Practice editing exercises and checklists.
Week 5: Opinion Essays
- Introduction to opinion essay writing.
- Learning how to express opinions clearly and effectively.
- Writing and editing opinion essays.
Week 6: Narrative Essays
- Introduction to narrative essay writing.
- Learning how to write stories with a clear beginning, middle, and end.
- Writing and editing narrative essays.
Week 7: Report Essays
- Introduction to report essay writing.
- Learning how to research and organize information.
- Writing and editing report essays.
Week 8: Compare & Contrast Essays
- Introduction to compare & contrast essay writing.
- Learning how to identify similarities and differences between two things.
- Writing and editing compare & contrast essays.
Week 9: Final Writing Assignment and Review
- Final writing assignment to assess progress.
- Review of writing elements and concepts learned throughout the program.
By the end of the semester, students should be able to write clear and well-structured paragraphs and essays with proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling. The progress towards these outcomes will be assessed through writing prompts and assignments, as well as the self-editing checklists. The coach will provide individual feedback to students and adjust the program as needed to ensure all students are making progress towards the learning outcomes and meeting the California Common Core Standards.
- reading skills
- writing skills
- personalized learning plan
- notion template
- SMS support